Re: [LUG] Sound distortion in Ubuntu 8.10

Rob Beard wrote:
> James Poole wrote:
>
>> Does no-one have any ideas about this?
>>
>> James
>>
>> James Poole wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys, I'm new to posting here. I apologize for my first post being a
>>> request for help!
>>>
>>> To cut a long story short, I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from
>>> 8.04. Everything has gone well so far, except all the sound that my
>>> computer
>>> makes is now distorted, and it seems especially apparent at high
>>> frequencies.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced similar, or does anyone have any ideas on what
>>> I can do about it?
>>>
>>> Many thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> James
>>>

> Hi James,
>
> I was thinking about it last night and the only possible solution I can
> think of is that maybe the mixer levels are set too high.
>
> I wonder if you could try an Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop CD and see if this
> also causes a problem?
>
> Looks like someone else is having a problem -
> http://joeb454.co.uk/2008/11/05/ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-pt-2/
>
> There was a suggestion on here of reducing the PCM volume in the Volume
> Control which fixed the problem for them.  It could be worth a shot.
>
> You might be worth also raising a bug report with the Ubuntu developers
> (see here for details on how to do this...
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/reportproblem)
>
> Rob

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, adjusting the PCM volumes (in
PulseAudio - is there
another way to do it?) hasn't worked.
I did not have this problem with 8.04.1 desktop, which is the version I
upgraded from.

I will look at raising a bug with the developers

James