Re: [LUG] Sound distortion in Ubuntu 8.10

James Poole wrote:
> Does no-one have any ideas about this?
>
> James
>
> James Poole wrote:
>> Hi guys, I'm new to posting here. I apologize for my first post being a
>> request for help!
>>
>> To cut a long story short, I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 from
>> 8.04. Everything has gone well so far, except all the sound that my
>> computer
>> makes is now distorted, and it seems especially apparent at high
>> frequencies.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced similar, or does anyone have any ideas on what
>> I can do about it?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> James

Hi James,

I was thinking about it last night and the only possible solution I can
think of is that maybe the mixer levels are set too high.

I wonder if you could try an Ubuntu 8.04.1 desktop CD and see if this
also causes a problem?

Looks like someone else is having a problem -
http://joeb454.co.uk/2008/11/05/ubuntu-810-intrepid-ibex-pt-2/

There was a suggestion on here of reducing the PCM volume in the Volume
Control which fixed the problem for them.  It could be worth a shot.

You might be worth also raising a bug report with the Ubuntu developers
(see here for details on how to do this...
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/reportproblem)

Rob