Re: [LUG] USB enabled KVM that works under linux]

M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 23:05 +0000, Grant Sewell wrote:
>
>> you could try Synergy
>>

> I'm probably being thick and currently stoned on morphine and other
> pre-bedtime medications, but I still don't get quite what this is
> supposed to do for my problem of running the server, firewall, main
> personal pooter and messabout pooter off one keyboard and monitor...
> often I mess something up - and not only on the messabout pooter. Whats
> this synergy meant to do? I coudln't figure out from the sourceforge
> page or links...
It may not be the right tool for you, but if the machines are all in the
same network (or at least they can talk to eachother via the network)
then you can use Synergy to "share" the keyboard and mouse of one
machine and the others will use it.

Essentially, one machine has a keyboard and mouse attached to it and the
Synergy server software "shares" them over the network to specific
machines (as per the way you configure it). The other machines run the
Synergy client software and "connect" to the server. Each machine must
have its own display - Synergy doesn't share the video, only the
keyboard and mouse. This way, if you have 3 machines and 3 monitors, you
can set it up so that when the mouse moves off the right of screen 1
(attached to computer A), it appears on the left of screen 2 (attached
to computer B), and so on. Keyboard focus follows the mouse, so you
cannot have the mouse on Screen 1 and be typing on Screen 2.

Does that make any sense?

Grant.