Re: [LUG] Help Please - Small Distro Wanted

On Fri, 07 Nov 2008 14:16:31 +0000
"M.Blackmore" <mblackmore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 12:48 +0000, David Bell wrote:
> > Reinstall, operate as root
> > and keep fingers crossed?
>
> Operates as ROOT??! I was just about to put that on a couple of older
> 800mhz computers with 512mb ram, but don't like the sound of that root
> bit.
>
> Why does it do that and you're sure there isn't a way to set up user
> accounts for a simple luser??

Hello Malcolm,

I believe there's a "how to" somewhere.  The owner of PL reckons
in his blurb that the dangers of operating as root are overstated!

As I had a pile of similar distro's on CD's to hand I decided to give
them all a try, with little success in installing them to hdd.
Following a suggestion on the list I settled on Xubuntu and installed
LXDE on top. Which works very well. Nice clean fast desktop. (XP1800+
with 512mb ram). Best of all the fan rarely runs.

Over the years I've had about as much fun with this laptop as I had
with that 486DX/100 mobo I donated to your good cause (10 years ago?).

David
--
W.  Devon