Re: [LUG] Help Please - Small Distro Wanted

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 11:58:41 +0000
Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You mentioned 'various reasons'.. what kind of problems are you
> running into? Particular hardware issues?  This might help people
> with recommendations.

The laptop has run Sarge, Etch, Lenny, SuSE 8*, 9*, 10*, 11*, PClinux
OS (live install), Mandriva, ububtu/kbuntu without any installation
problems, apart from the modem. However, it is now fairly low spec
CPU/RAM wise and it's time to install something lighter than KDE/Gnome.

All of the live distros I tried worked without any problems. However,
installing them to hard disk was a different matter. For example:

DSL v4.1 install - no errors, confirmation that grub or Lilo
installed on MBR, but at boot - no Grub/Lilo, no error message.

Various other small distros debian/Slackware/RH based, on hdd
installation, came up with various software errors, package errors etc.
or else just failed the initial reboot.  All came up with the same
problems during repeated attempts.  I always repartion with Gparted and
fdisk /mbr between installations as a precaution.

Never had any live distro hardware configuration problems/messages and
they have all come up with the correct live display either
as selected or automatically.

I've searched for comments, bug reports but found nothing so far.

Puppylinux live install worked smoothly.  Reinstall, operate as root
and keep fingers crossed?

--
W.  Devon