[LUG] Help Please - Small Distro Wanted

I'm looking for a small distro (e-mail, browse, edit - sort of thing) to
install on an old'ish Acer laptop. Puppylinux installed easily and fits
the spec, but operating as root seems a bit dodgy. DSL seemed to install
happily to the hdd, but wouldn't boot.

Currently Xubuntu is installed but it is rather slow compared
with several other small Slackware based live distros I've tried, all of
which failed to install for various reasons.

Any suggestions welcome.

--
W.  Devon