Re: [LUG] A couple of questions

On Thursday 06 November 2008 11:39, Rob Beard wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > On Wednesday 05 November 2008 22:17, Dave wrote:
> >> Thanks Rob.
> >>
> >> I think I'll save some money then and stick at 2 Gig (I think memory
> >> runs better these days when it is matched in size? e.g.. 2 x 1 Gig).
> >
> > should make little difference - unless you have an MB that requires
> > doubling up! 2 will probably be slower than one for any data block read
> > that crosses two chips.
>
> Actually dual channel is designed to increase performance as there are
> double the mount of 'lanes' to the CPU.
Its the 'width' of the channels that matters- 2 chips of the same width as the
computer data bus isn't going to get you much improvement.
I must confess I've given up trying to keep up with technical improvements
that are merely selling points.

> The new Intel Core i7 CPU's use triple channel (for even more performance).
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture
see the comments on performance towards the bottom of the article!

Tom te tom te tom