[LUG] A couple of questions

Hi All,

I am looking to spec a machine for a LINUX MCE Core. Because it is a Core I am trying to make it as powerful as I can afford but this had led to a couple of questions regarding LINUX which I must profess to be ignorant in and was wondering whether anyone could provide the answers to. Please bear in mind I will be using Kubuntu 7.10 because that is the latest version LINUX MCE will run on.

Firstly I am looking to put in 4 Gig Memory (the max for the MB) but am unsure as to whether a 32 Bit LINUX can address such a large amount directly and if not what happens to the rest of it; does it sit idle (and wasted) or will it become a RAMDisk or similar?

Secondly I was going to get a Quad-Core Processor but again I wasn't sure whether LINUX would make use of all the Processors (ditto Dual-Core) or would be better saving money and using a single-core Processor instead? (or at least the cheapest Dual-Core).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Regards,
Dave.