[LUG] wireless woes

I tried out intrepid on my laptop and have had severe problems getting wifi
to work.
I have an rtl8187b card which is reported to have out of the box support in
the kernel.
Unfortunately I and many others according to the forums are not able to use
this because the hardware ID on my card is 8198 rather than 8197 which does
work fairly reliably either with kernel driver of ndiswrapper.

The closest I got was using a modified .inf file suggested by one of the
forums which got me able to view the ESSID of my network but I couldn't
connect even with encryption off. I even made sure to add the mac address to
my router but still no good.

In a fit of pique after trying for 3 days to get everything working right I
wiped it off and decided to look for an express card wifi adapter that will
work.

I am hoping that one of you fine people can recommend an adapter that is
known to have good compatability under linux, even better if you know of one
because of personal experience.

I am planning to put hardy back on this because everything else ,sound
graphics etc. seems to work ok.

Ray