Re: [LUG] Vector graphing request

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:11:37 +0000
Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.lutanho.net/svgvml3d/index.html
> looks almost perfect and seems to have a free license.

Tom, you've completely missed the point. This isn't dynamic data and I
don't want a bare chart with no other work. I need a visual abstraction
of the underlying graph. The data isn't going to change any time soon.
What matters is adding artistic content to the bare mathematics. I'm no
artist and that's why I'm asking for help.

If I needed bare mathematical data I would have done it myself.

> > In addition, I'd like the ranges to be arcs (i.e. mirrored) for
> > purely abstract reasons - it helps give the impression that the
> > largest set on the x and y axes acts as an umbrella - it mostly
> > encompasses all of the values within.
> >
> > Now, the arcs themselves need some detail, which is where I need to
> > leave the precise nature of charts behind and get into the abstract,
> > artistic elements that I have no idea how to implement.
> >
> > *Within* the arcs, there need to be demarcations (along the lines of
> > jigsaw pieces) to indicate some form of componentisation. The depth
> > of colour of the arcs also needs to indicate something about the
> > number of alternatives within each selection. For example, the
> > bigger arc will have graduated colour that starts pale but gets
> > much darker than the other arcs because part of the reason for the
> > size is that the packages concerned provide slightly different
> > versions of the same functionality
> > - multiple GUI text editors, multiple web servers, multiple image
> > processing apps etc. Each arc beneath the biggest, then loses some
> > of that depth until the smallest arc is almost "one action, one
> > package" with no alternatives available within the confines of the
> > installed size targets. As the installed size increases, the depth
> > of colour should probably increase. Alternatively, the idea of
> > alternatives can be encoded as a series of blocks, stacked one
> > behind another along the line of the arc, making the top line of
> > the arc blurred and uneven - which is probably quite a good idea
> > for what I need.
> >
> > If you think this can be done better in 2D, maybe encode the number
> > of architectures as bands within the arcs.
> >
> > Each arc should be colour-distinct - with the top arc having to be
> > based on various reds to signify Debian. Maybe the second arc can
> > be based on various tones of blue and the inner ring tones of green
> > (although I'm not particularly comfortable with the connotation
> > that small == environmentally friendly).
> >
> > The design will become a signature of Emdebian and will appear on
> > posters, leaflets, webpages and handouts, it will appear at
> > conferences the world-over and although the text around the arcs
> > may change, the basic design needs to remain.
> >
> > All images need to be under a licence that allows free
> > redistribution of the original and modified versions, unlimited
> > modification and free access to the underlying XML (for SVG) or
> > similar (i.e. no requirement to only distribute as an image).
> > Attribution will be given and respected.

i.e. all this means that the image cannot be simply automated or
generated from a library. It needs human ingenuity and creativity.

--

Neil Williams