[LUG] Vector graphing request

I have a need for a vector graphic (no text) to make an abstract
representation of a complex idea such that it encodes a relatively large
amount of data into a series of simple images that can be enlarged up to
poster size and reduced down to A5 (landscape) and possibly smaller for
the www, without loss of impact. I'll add text and non-vector graphics
later, according to the size required.

The basic premise is a 3D graph, using these axes and figures. All
figures are actually ranges. (Yes, there are gaps and no, there should
be no zero point.)

x axis : Installed Size
y axis : Number of packages
z axis : Number of architectures and sub-architectures

x       1024 - 5120     500 - 2048      6 - 200
y       180 - 20000     180 - 15000     8 - 400
z       1 - 10          1 - 20          1 - 30

So the second graph tracks the first, just lower down and starting
further to the left.

See http://linux.codehelp.co.uk/graph.png

In addition, I'd like the ranges to be arcs (i.e. mirrored) for purely
abstract reasons - it helps give the impression that the largest set on
the x and y axes acts as an umbrella - it mostly encompasses all of the
values within.

Now, the arcs themselves need some detail, which is where I need to
leave the precise nature of charts behind and get into the abstract,
artistic elements that I have no idea how to implement.

*Within* the arcs, there need to be demarcations (along the lines of
jigsaw pieces) to indicate some form of componentisation. The depth of
colour of the arcs also needs to indicate something about the number of
alternatives within each selection. For example, the bigger arc will
have graduated colour that starts pale but gets much darker than the
other arcs because part of the reason for the size is that the packages
concerned provide slightly different versions of the same functionality
- multiple GUI text editors, multiple web servers, multiple image
processing apps etc. Each arc beneath the biggest, then loses some of
that depth until the smallest arc is almost "one action, one package"
with no alternatives available within the confines of the installed size
targets. As the installed size increases, the depth of colour should
probably increase. Alternatively, the idea of alternatives can be
encoded as a series of blocks, stacked one behind another along the line
of the arc, making the top line of the arc blurred and uneven - which is
probably quite a good idea for what I need.

If you think this can be done better in 2D, maybe encode the number of
architectures as bands within the arcs.

Each arc should be colour-distinct - with the top arc having to be based
on various reds to signify Debian. Maybe the second arc can be based on
various tones of blue and the inner ring tones of green (although I'm
not particularly comfortable with the connotation that small ==
environmentally friendly).

The design will become a signature of Emdebian and will appear on
posters, leaflets, webpages and handouts, it will appear at conferences
the world-over and although the text around the arcs may change, the
basic design needs to remain.

All images need to be under a licence that allows free redistribution of
the original and modified versions, unlimited modification and free
access to the underlying XML (for SVG) or similar (i.e. no requirement
to only distribute as an image). Attribution will be given and
respected.

Any volunteers? No particular time-limit, just email a vector image to
me (SVG or similar).

--

Neil Williams

--