Re: [LUG] Devolo HomePlug AV [was Re: 64 Bit for new laptop.]

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 22:32 +0100, Steve James wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2008, Alan Pope wrote:
>
> > I use Develo homeplug "ethernet over power" adapters to get a wired
> > connection where wireless won't go :)
>
> Alan, I have a Devolo HomePlug AV adaptor. Did you get the Linux set-up tool
> for it to work? For me it built easily enough but didn't work -- couldn't
> detect the adaptor at all IIRC. I had to resort to taking it to work to set
> it up with a Windows box >:-( What's more, it won't talk to my Zyxel
> P-660HWP-D1 modem...
>
> Steve.

I've not had any problem with the tool although it is a bit clunky. Seem
to recall the code from the website was difficult/impossible to compile
while the version on the disk was easy.

     A. Also recall that when you register a plug on the network it
        doesn't actually list the plug as connected after the operation
        and you need to do a rescan each time. Did it even see the local
        plug, ie the one attached to your PC?

Don't quite understand why it won't talk to a modem. As I understand it
the plug is just neutral data carrier. If there is ethernet cable from
the device to the plug and a cable from another plug to the PC and
they've both been registered on the network the data signal should just
be carried.

I'm not sure if registering the plugs from a different location would
work, can't get my head around how your home network would recognize
plugs registered at a completely different location. How would your home
network "know" about the encryption? But I've no idea on this really,
just feels a bit weird.

A very patronising question, but did you run it as root? Sorry. Try
borrowing a windows laptop and setting it up at home if you can't get
the linux version to work. I've had no probs, can even use it for other
companies plugs.

Maybe from work you could do a setup with no encryption, see if the
plugs are then visible from home devices. But not sure at all on that.

Simon