Re: [LUG] Plymouth & O2

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Kai Hendry  wrote:
> My sister is now attending the University of Plymouth. However she is
> having trouble connecting to the wireless from her Ubuntu Thinkpad T30.
>
> I don't know what's going on. She has upgraded Ubuntu at least 3 times
> and perhaps the bloatware that's the Gnome network manager has decided
> to fail unsurprisingly. She does say it works at work at home fine.
> Perhaps I wrote in a /etc/network/interfaces. I can't remember!
>
> So is there any LUG member at the University that could help her resolve
> the problem?

My wife's a student at the university and I remember the network not
being open to all: you needed to be a student/employee to be able to
connect to the network. I don't remember how they checked, but I think
the sysadmin did something to her (Windows) laptop; in general
Plymouth Uni doesn't seem very Linux-friendly. (Having said that, when
we went there for her interview a few years ago I connected my
SuSE-laptop to the wired network and it worked just fine. The sysadmin
later told me that this simply could not have worked.)

I hope this helps.

Martijn.