[LUG] route: "SIOCADDRT: No such process"

Hello everyone.
The route command is driving me completely insane... again.
It just loves this error:
SIOCADDRT: No such process
It seems that at the first sign of trouble it throws that and goes and
sulks in the corner.

What kind of error message is that anyway? I consider myself a seasoned
networking veteran and that gives me no clue as to what the problem
actually is.

With further messing around I think it's something to do with route not
allowing routes which cross over, but that does seem a little mad (and
I'm sure I've done it before)- especially if it's not actually going to
tell me that's the problem.

Hmm. Maybe it's because I'm being an idiot and forgetting that you can't
chain routes (you can't add a route which needs gateway (even the
default) to get to the specified gateway). Still- why exactly isn't
there a better error for this? (and I'm sure it's doing it for other
cases as well).