Re: [LUG] Debian Lenny ISOs - cups

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 22:31 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> >> /etc/init.d/
> >> and type ./cups start
> >
> > The correct command for this operation is:
> >
> > $ sudo invoke-rc.d cups start
> >
> > The  standard  actions  are:  start, stop, force-stop, restart, reload,
> > force-reload, and status.
> >
> > $ man invoke-rc.d
>
> Having read the manual page, I see no particular advantage in using this
> method of calling the start-up scripts outside of a package (except it
> is shorter to type).
>
> Am I missing something?

It's about learning a new habit so that if things need to change
in /etc/init.d/ then only /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d needs to be modified.

invoke-rc.d also ensures that policy-rc.d is followed and enforces the
correct dependency handling so that scripts can rely on other scripts
being run.

--

Neil Williams