Re: [LUG] patents and windows pre installation environments

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 10:40 PM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment
>
> this page has a link to the US Patent office on a related topic, some of
> the things mentioned seem familar from using Linux e.g saving a config
> to be used later.
>
> such
>
> 5555416 <http://www.google.com/patents?id=_NgbAAAAEBAJ>         Automated
> software installation and operating environment configuration for a
> computer system based on classification rules   Sep 10, 1996
>
> grr, sorr about that, i tried to copy / paste from wiki pedia
>
> Paul
>
> --

With regards to usa patents, even if they are allowed...  They have to
be enforced, and if they are enforced legally, a pre-existing
mechanism usually/should void the  patent granted.

Hrmmm maybe we could file a new and better patent that supersedes this
one, in particular changing point 10 to include any OS using a greater
than 8 bit architecture (it seems to limit itself to 32 and 64 bit
architecture), or computing with organisms.

Just because it can't be physically created or demonstrated fully,
doesn't mean it cannot be patented..

Regards,

KevinT