Re: [LUG] upgrade to lenny, GUI broken - command line saves the day

Neil Williams wrote:
snip
> Don't rely on the GUI, learn how to do the GUI stuff from the command
> line. There are a thousand different ways that the GUI can break but you
> always have the command line - even if it is only the temporary shell
> within the installer.

snip

> This is the problem with packaging an OS that "just works" - when the
> fancy GUI stuff stops working, people need to know how to fix the magic.

Absolutely right. I started with computers back in the days when there
was only a command line available. (Yes, DOS and before that CP/M.)

I am happy using a console and with typing in commands. I can remember
many examples of people who have never used the command line. I remember
someone who had only ever used a GUI looking so surprised when I pressed
the Y key to choose Yes. He wanted to know what I had done and when I
explained he said, 'didn't know you could do that!'

I think this is one possible reason that Linux is still taking time to
get really popular, so many people are scared of the command line or
they look upon it as a backward step. They want to stay in their comfort
zone and look to someone else to fix any problems.

Neil Winchurst