Re: [LUG] Authenticating user logons with LDAP on Ubuntu 8.04

> I did also try authenticating against a Samba 3 domain (both manually
> configuring PAM and with Likewise-Open) but that doesn't seem to work
> either.

> If anyone could advise on how to resolve this I could be really grateful
> as I've spent the past 3 days trying to resolve this.
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob

Have you tried uncommenting the /etc/pam.d/common-session to create
new home directory for directory users?

 on the client, is it set to use md5 or ldap for auth?  That *might*
make a difference here.

I notice you don't specify the port which defaults to 389 for the
auth, have you tried looking at the network traffic over that port to
see what is being returned from the server as a 'denied or noack'
response?

what's occuring in your logs on both client and server?
/var/log/syslog ? /var/log/messages ?

Regards,

KevinT