Re: [LUG] Win98 kids game multiboot install update problem - how to do with linux , without w98 connecting to the web?

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 23:55, Rob Beard wrote:
> M.Blackmore wrote:
> > I've retired my old shuttle athlon to be a games and browsing machine
> > for my 5 yr old to sit beside me in the study and play lego trains, web
> > games, and the like. This requires both Win98se for a collection of 90s
> > era games that are fine for his needs, and XP for his older sister to
> > get her fix of Sims addiction. NEITHER of these machines will be
> > internet (or even network) enabled. Edubuntu will be the only internet
> > connection option.
> >
> > However, having dug out my ancient MSDN windows 98 cd (from the days 8
> > or 9 years ago I got that sort of thing) and repartitioned the machine
> > for triple booting, so I thought I'd connect up quickly for a MS update
> > for any bug fixes and directx up until support stopped in '06 and then
> > disconnect tcp/ip etc.
> >
> > Unfortunately the MS website reports and error and no update seems
> > possible. Can't go anywhere so pulled the plug before anything found
> > me...
> >
> > So. Is there a way of downloading all the bug fixes and security patches
> > (though without internet connectivity the latter are probably somewhat
> > irrelevant) using a linux boot, save to disk or burn a CD, and then do a
> > service pack sort of thing from that?
> >
> > Where does one find the source for such downloads? I don't have a clue
> > to where too look.
>
> Not sure if it's still available but install Firefox and then do a
> search for Windiz update.  It's a Firefox plugin which checks what
> updates are required and downloads them direct from Microsoft.
>
> Although Windows 98 is no longer supported you should still be able to
> get the old updates this way.
And don't forget you can run Cygwin and give your kids full access to a
Unix/Linux type environment - including X and all the development tools too
In fact on win98 cygwin is very useful as it allows you full system monitoring
too.
And I do find it amusing running 98 on a 'modern' machine. Click whir and its
up - just show it to your poor sad Vista using friends!
Tom te tom te tom