Re: [LUG] Win98 kids game multiboot install update problem - how to do with linux, without w98 connecting to the web?

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:12:46 +0100
M.Blackmore wrote:

> I've retired my old shuttle athlon to be a games and browsing machine
> for my 5 yr old to sit beside me in the study and play lego trains,
> web games, and the like. This requires both Win98se for a collection
> of 90s era games that are fine for his needs, and XP for his older
> sister to get her fix of Sims addiction. NEITHER of these machines
> will be internet (or even network) enabled. Edubuntu will be the only
> internet connection option.
>
> However, having dug out my ancient MSDN windows 98 cd (from the days 8
> or 9 years ago I got that sort of thing) and repartitioned the machine
> for triple booting, so I thought I'd connect up quickly for a MS
> update for any bug fixes and directx up until support stopped in '06
> and then disconnect tcp/ip etc.
>
> Unfortunately the MS website reports and error and no update seems
> possible. Can't go anywhere so pulled the plug before anything found
> me...
>
> So. Is there a way of downloading all the bug fixes and security
> patches (though without internet connectivity the latter are probably
> somewhat irrelevant) using a linux boot, save to disk or burn a CD,
> and then do a service pack sort of thing from that?
>
> Where does one find the source for such downloads? I don't have a clue
> to where too look.

This might sound a little crazy (or it might not), but why not install
your preferred Linux distro and have Win98 and WinXP run as virtual
machines that start up seemlessly upon one of the kids logging on?  So,
for example, the little'un clicks on his icon (do they need passwords?)
it logs-in as him and promptly starts the 98SE virtual machine
automagically.

It wouldn't solve *this* issue regarding updates, but creating backups
of the entire system would involve copying just a couple of files, and
does keep everything under one system.

Grant.