Re: [LUG] Similar XP problem for linux downloaded update files rather than connecting XP to web;

M.Blackmore wrote:
> Similar to the win98se problem of online update not working, I don't
> want to go anywhere near MS. This came about because the original athlon
> 2600 cpu on the shuttle died and is now replaced with a slower 2200 -
> and when I reinstalled xp microsoft has refused to allow it as it is a
> "new computer"!

Is it a new motherboard?

Microsoft class a new motherboard as a new computer.  It's part of their
annoying OEM licencing rules.  The OEM licence is tied to the machine
(or at least the motherboard).  Retail copies can be transferred, OEM
copies can't.

About your only option other than buying another licence would be to
call Microsoft and explain that the CPU died so you replaced it.  You
might have some luck if you speak to a representative.

> So
> 1. How do I tell the computer to stop counting and disable this when it
> didn't ever do it before (being an oem installed os)

Your best bet is to ring Microsoft on the number supplied when you try
to Activate Windows.

> 2. I need to download bugfixes and so forth for service packs up to the
> present date. Again security fixes aren't so important 'cos I am
> disabling internet connectivity, thats only allowed via linux on the
> third boot option.

Download Service Pack 3, that'll give you a chunk of updates, and then
just either download the remaining updated from Windows Update or try
the Windiz updates option as mentioned in the other thread.

> So I need to download all the updates required seperately via linux, put
> them onto the xp partition or make up a cd/dvd. How do I do this? Where
> are such files stored if they exist?

Well for starters the Windows XP Service Pack 3 can be downloaded as a
big file (about 300MB).  It's the version for IT professionals (the
smaller one downloads from the net).  The rest of the updates _may_ be
available as complete packages but Microsoft have a habit now of only
supplying downloaders which download the updates when you run them
(makes a small initial download but it requires an internet connection).

> Not everyone can be doing web page based online updates!

No, but Microsoft don't see it like this.  Saying that, not everyone
does updates anyway!

One good solution for people with two or more Windows machines (or even
Linux/Mac machines) is to install IPCop on an old box and install Update
Accelerator.  It's a proxy for updates and can cache things like .deb
packages, .rpm packages (I think) and Windows Updates and Anti-Virus
updates.

Rob