Re: [LUG] OT: New Laptop recommendation.

M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 16:08 +0100, Ray Smith wrote:
>
>> I ended up getting a laptop from PCworld (shock horror)
>>

> Hope nothing goes wrong with it 'cos apparently PCW says installing any
> other software (or is it OS) invalidates the warranty.
>
> I'm waiting for someone to challenge that particular insanity via
> trading standards and consumer law unless it has already been done.
>
> Anyone ever managed to break a computer component using software (since
> the early 80s, one could then with assembler)?

I remember computer shopper having an article on something similar a
couple of years ago.
Ultimately the retailer is responsible for upholding the manufacturers
warranty.
They can refuse at PC World to carry out any problems with the software
if it's been changed but they CANNOT refuse to repair a hardware fault
no matter what software/os is running.
I.E. If my keyboard fails,screen,mousepad etc 'physically' as opposed to
say, the trackpad not working because of running linux,which would then
be a software fault, then the warrany has to be upheld.

Orange will try on something similar with their phones. If you remove
the custom orange branding or enable wifi phone calls on a phone where
they have removed the feature they refuse to fix it.
I did this on a windows mobile smartphone and the keypad had a fault.
upgrade the rom on the replacement and rebooted constantly. Both know
bugs but they refused to fix it until I spoke to a supervisor and
insisted hardware faults are unrelated to software.
Usually anyway.
Now again,if I had done a rom upgrade and the wifi failed to work after
because of a buggy driver in the new rom; then they could refuse.
Otherwise they can't.

Ray