Re: [LUG] OT: New Laptop recommendation.

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>> Hmm... I didn't bother checking their website.  I'm sure they still have
>> some on the shelf of the Truro store.  Anyho, if you can get hold of one
>> they have nVidia 7000m series GFX cards and Compiz works *very* well. :)
>>

> Are integrated graphics really a big problem for Compiz? I'm running
> compiz just fine on an Intel 945GM chip just fine, even when I plug in
> my little netbook into anexternal monitor at 1280x1024 compiz still
> runs acceptably.
>
> Jon

Well I guess not.
I ended up getting a laptop from PCworld (shock horror) after looking
all over which has radeon x1200. After playing with 3dMark01,03,05 it
seems to be comparable with my 4 year old desktop which has 128mb ati
radeon agp. Well past it now for any modern games but as I only want to
be able to play the odd game under linux and rouge squadron(which works
well apart from a small display issue) and compiz then I should be ok.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I got a Toshiba L350D in the end. 2 gb ram,120gb HD and 17inch screen.
Asking price 407 quid,none in stock anywhere so asked as they had 2 on
the display shelf if I could buy one of those. They agree and nocked 30
quid off and got a laptop case included.
Vista premium preloaded (which I loathe!)
They wiped all their pc world rubbish off and set up a recovery
partition but split in disk equally in two. Am trying to sort out
editing this to be more realistic as well as set up a partition for
linux but gparted live doesn't recognize and partitions on the drive.Am
downloading a more recent version to see if this resolves problem.

Main big problem at the moment is that no ubuntu live cd's will work.
Get dropped to a busybox shell. Knoppix loaded ok. Mandriva spring 2008
failed with some similar error.

apparently intrepid ibex likes this laptop so I might have to wait a
couple of weeks until it's out of Beta.

Ray