Re: [LUG] [DCLUG] Virtualization and Databases

Rob Beard wrote:

> I was under the impression that if the CPU has native virtualisation
> support (Intel Core 2 Duo or higher and pretty much all AMD AM2 socket
> CPUs) then Windows would run on Xen.  As far as I can remember Windows
> won't run on Xen if the CPU doesn't support virtualisation (so that
> rules out Celeron Dual Core and Pentium Dual Core).

It depends :)

With native virtualisation support you can run pretty much anything in a
fully virtual Xen VM, AIUI.

If you want to use paravirtual VMs then you need the co-operation of the
OS running inside the VM to do so.  I believe there are drivers for at
least some releases of windows to allow this and that people are using
them with some success.  I have no idea how you actually get windows
installed in such a situation though -- it's not something I'm likely to
want to do at the moment.

James