Re: [LUG] [DCLUG] Virtualization and Databases

At Mon 06 Oct 2008 22:58:12 BST, Kevin Tunison <ktunison@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One of the companies I work for uses several different dbs, one of them
> being SQL Server.  For me, this has harranged a choice in VMWare as they
> only explicitly support OS's, not applications.  Has anyone come across any
> political hang-ups when it comes to virtualization technology because it
> doesn't explicitly support a particular database?  What was done and how was
> the outcome?  Also, I notice that Microsoft has changed their licensing
> structure to be particularly detrimental to the widescale adoption of VMWare
> ESX with MS non-OS products.  It would be nice to know if anyone has had
> success in requesting support for SQL server on a virtualization platform.

I don't run major databases on my VMWare installation, but I don't see
why this would be a problem. If the underlying OS runs on the virtual
machine, then the database is just like any other application running
on that OS. If you need to run SQL Server then I would run Windows
Server 2003 on VMWare with a suitable SQL Server installation.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk