[LUG] [DCLUG] Virtualization and Databases

Hi List,

More and more frequently over the past several months I have been involved with an increasing number of virtualization products.  Particularly VMWare based.  I would like to ask if any members here have any preferences or caveats when it comes to choosing a bare-metal virtualization solution.  I have pretty much ruled out Microsofts Hypervisor because of their storage setup limitations.  Has anyone had any experience with XenSource, Xen, Sun's Logical domains (despite the flamewar on bugtraq), or ESX with any production high I/O SQL databases (like, say 100-750GB dbs with 10-100GB of daily data change)?

One of the companies I work for uses several different dbs, one of them being SQL Server.  For me, this has harranged a choice in VMWare as they only explicitly support OS's, not applications.  Has anyone come across any political hang-ups when it comes to virtualization technology because it doesn't explicitly support a particular database?  What was done and how was the outcome?  Also, I notice that Microsoft has changed their licensing structure to be particularly detrimental to the widescale adoption of VMWare ESX with MS non-OS products.  It would be nice to know if anyone has had success in requesting support for SQL server on a virtualization platform.

Regards,

Kevin