Re: [LUG] Jabber server

Rob Beard wrote:
> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 07:36:05PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to implement a jabber server for one of my clients so the
>>> staff can chat to each other between the two sites they have without
>>> resorting to use MSN/Yahoo etc.
>>>
>>> I've been having a play around but I can't seem to find any definitive
>>> instructions on how to get Jabber up and running.
>>>
>> Thought I had seen something: have you tried this?
>>
>> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/42
>>

> I've tried that but not had much luck.
>
> I've actually managed to get OpenFire running (even though it's a java
> app).  It appears to not use as much system resources than I originally
> thought.
>
> I'll still have another look at the Jabber instructions on the link you
> posted.
>
> Rob

Rob,

Article is next to useless....

Here is what I did (2 minutes typing, 2 hours working out)

apt-get install jabber
apt-get install jabber-muc

edit the /etc/jabber/jabber.xml file as per instructions in
/usr/share/docs/jabber-muc/README.Debian (two bits of xml to cut 'n'
paste) *note* if you have changed your domain (server name) from
localhost to something else then you will need to do intelligent cut 'n'
paste ;-)

goto /etc/default and edit jabber-muc set ENABLED='1'
/etc/init.d/jabberd restart

ps -ef | grep jabberd should show something like

jabberd -h localhost
jabberd -h localhost
jabberd -c /etc/jabber/jabber-muc.xml

The third one indicates that basic muc (multi user conference) should
then be enabled

Tested in kopete.... talking to myself ;-)

Hope this helps

Tom.