[LUG] Jabber server

Hi folks,

I'm trying to implement a jabber server for one of my clients so the
staff can chat to each other between the two sites they have without
resorting to use MSN/Yahoo etc.

I've been having a play around but I can't seem to find any definitive
instructions on how to get Jabber up and running.

I've tried Jabberd (which the instructions were on the Ubuntu Help wiki
here - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpJabberServer).

I've also tried ejabberd which gets so far (I can create a username) but
I get stream errors and SSL errors when trying to connect with Pidgin on
both my other half's XP Desktop and my Ubuntu desktop.

So I'm a bit stuck now.  Can anyone suggest any guides that DO work and
cover configuring pidgin and setting up new users?

Otherwise is here an alternative IM server available along the lines of
Jabber (but maybe a different protocol) that I can install on Ubuntu server?

I did try installing jabberd2-mysql although I can't find any useful
documentation on how to set it up with the pre-configured packages on
Ubuntu.  This one seems to get further but I still can't get it configured.

I'm reluctant to go down the java route as the server I'm going to run
it on isn't the most powerful server ever and memory is limited on it
(there aren't any funds to upgrade the server either!).

Ta,

Rob