Re: [LUG] SFD 2008 post event analysis

Rob Beard wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
>
>> Agreed, and I also send thanks to everyone to helped, dropped in, to
>> chat etc, if anything new contacts were forged, which is always a good
>> thing, a chance to chat, problems shared and solved, etc
>>
>> Lets all keep the momentum up, I think there are more people out there
>> that have used / heard of Linux and or OSS than we realise
>
> Yep, seems the case.  Maybe we should look at trying to have more
> regular meetings or even just social events like a few drinks in the pub
> more often, maybe once a month? (well what I'm thinking is maybe each
> area have one once a month so members can attend a meeting or social
> meeting in the pub which is near them).
>
> If we set something in stone, say we meet up for drinks on the first
> Thursday of every month or something along those lines, or even the
> first Thursday of every month and 3rd Saturday or something like that we
> could then get these events publicised in 'Whats On' guides and on the
> radio/in the local paper and maybe actually bring in more new members.
>
> Just a thought anyway.
>
> I certainly thought it was worth it even if there was a small turnout.
> It gave us a better chance to try the LTSP kit and I thought the video
> link with the LUG in Cameroon was interesting.
>
> Rob

Yes the LTSP kit did perform very well all things considered. 54Mbps
network with a 2Ghz / 1Gb Ram processor is not ideal circumstances to
operate LTSP but it did function. Some things clearly hiccuped the
processor now and then but I suspect that could be solved with a higher
spec LTSP server.

I was thinking for the "next" event we could do something on a theme.
For example perhaps a drop in Christmas Card design workshop for
children using Inkscape / GIMP etc.....

Maybe if I put together some basic Inkscape objects like Reindeer,
Santas, Snowman and Penguins (of course) etc,  Then the kids could play
will placing / scaling  etc. If we get a decent colour laser printer, we
could charge say 15p a card....

We could distribute DCGLUG leaflets explaining the software we used and
where to get it.

Tom.