Re: [LUG] Ubuntu (Debian) Package

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 07:57 +0100, Neil Stone wrote:
> peter wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Bob Jacobsen has dropped a large hint that he would like someone to
> > build a package for JMRI.
> >
> > I have written a scrip which sets up the environment and loads rxtx
> > which apparently is working well.
> >
> > My question really is is there anyone in the area I can turn too for
> > help if I have a go?

> My Money is on Neil Williams..

My money is on debian-mentors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/welcome :-)

Necessary documentation:
http://www.uk.debian.org/devel/
http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/
http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/
http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/
http://www.uk.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/

Other docs:
http://people.debian.org/~codehelp/#sponsor
http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html

Also note that, right now, Debian is in the midst of a release-phase and
my time is centred on release-type tasks (which means no NEW packages
for me until Lenny is released). I also don't sponsor Java - I don't use
it, I don't write code in Java anymore and I simply don't have time to
do Java packaging.

Packaging for Debian is quite a lot to learn but Robin has also done
packaging work for Debian, as have David Johnson and Simon Waters and
maybe a few others on this list too. You do need to read the docs first,
then join the Debian Java packaging team at Alioth:
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=pkg-java-maintainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-java/
http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/
http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/developers.html