Re: [LUG] VMWare and Windows memory limit

Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've seen a couple of posts regarding VMWare and I had a thought today.
>
> When I eventually upgrade my PC I will still (regrettably) need Windows
> installed.  However the new PC is likely to have more than 3Gb of RAM
> which is the limit Windows XP will see.  I'm loathe to use Windows Vista
> for many reasons, most notably the lousy performance compared to XP on
> the same machine.
>
> Question.  If I were to access Windows via a VMWare shell would it see
> *and use* the entire memory, given that it's a shell running on top of
> Linux?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

The issue is not actually XP related.. it's a 32 vs 64 bit int issue.

You would only see 3gb of ram if you booted a system with 8gb of ram in
a 32 bit Linux. The good news is there is a 64 bit version of XP, and
several 64bit Linux distros (including Ubuntu)

The vmware system would see however much ram you allocated to that
specific VM....

I think that answers your question ?

Neil Stone