Re: [LUG] Regex

Simon Williams wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good tutorial for regex?

The perl man page perlretut is OK.

> I know basic syntax, but I never know what to search for when I want
> something more complex.

For instance?

> How can I tell it to keep searching and replacing (even on text it's
> already replaced) until it isn't possible to replace any more?

Normally /g on the end, mean ing global.

> Also, I can't figure out how to use backreferences.

That depends which system you're using.

> If I have some string which may or may not have an arbitrary number of
> /'s at the start, how do I get it to print the string without all the
> starting /'s?

Do you want to make them go away for ever or just fund the bit that
follows.

> This is meant for PHP, but I'm currently trying to test the regex on
> grep/sed.

Assuming you're using the PHP Perl like regular expression functions,
you'll find that sed and grep, or even egrep don't cut the mustard.

You want to try something like:

perl -ne 'print if /regex/' testfile.txt

This will act like grep but use all the Perl goodness.

Steve