Re: [LUG] VLP screen/UPS

On Thursday 04 September 2008 20:18, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> Mark Evans wrote:
> >
> > Tom Potts wrote:
> >> Playing with my Viglen again and after yet another power outage
> >> yesterday I was wondering if anyone knows of a very low power (LCD?)
> >> monitor that would run of 12v - Black and white would do.
> >> The viglen runs of 12v, my router runs of 12v and if I can find a 12v
> >> monitor of low power than I can run the whole sheboodle of a car battery
> >> connected to a charger.
> >
> > There are quite a few LCD monitors with external PSUs. Some of these are
> > likely to be 12V or less. Though they might want a voltage regulator,
> > given that a "12V car battery" can actually be more like 14V. Especially
> > with a battery charger connected in parallel.
> >
> > You'd also want to avoid using a charger which is not designed to be
> > used in this way. If you are lucky you will just wind up with a broken
> > battery charger. If you are unlucky you will turn the battery into a
> > hydrogen gas and spark generator...
>
> Car batteries are also not designed for deep cycle/long run operations.
> They are designed to deliver very high current for short periods of
> time. The sealed gel batteries are far more appropriate for battery
> powered equipment and can deliver far more energy over longer periods of
> time. Car batterys despite having a very high Ah rating will rapidly end
> up at a voltage that can cause sulphation of the cells and knacker the
> battery permanently.
Just to get really pedantic  here - total drain will be ~5A@12V on starting up
all the equipment. It will run at nearer 2A so it will be a bit like
listening to the radio in the car with the engine off*. Power outages are
normally two or three hours at most.
* not sure about the monitor yet.
Gel cell seem to last three or four charges in my experience - they seem to
think people who buy rechargeable drills etc only ever put up one shelf or
have Homer Simpson for a next door neighbour! And here really should be a law
about using invisible ink on receipts!

> An optimum system would use not only a regulator but a switched mode
> system that can effeciently convert voltage up or down to the correct
> level of 12.0v. Regulators lower the extra voltage by dissipating
> current as heat, wasting your stored energy and with many types of
not if you do it digitally - used to be about £3 worth of components and 10
minutes soldering if I remember rightly. Not sure how hard it is to get
discrete components these days. I love the smell of (now illegal) flux in the
morning!
Tom te tom te tom