Re: [LUG] Web Content Management

Simon Williams wrote:

> I am supposed to have taken over management of my CU's website, but it
> all keeps blowing up in my face! Anyway, all the disasters aside, I
> still can't figure out which content management system to use. Can
> anyone point me in the direction of a guide to content management
> systems? Or even if something exists which will do what I want?

I don't know of a guide, but I've found the same problem you have. Too
bloggy and difficult to make it look like anything else.

I have used postnuke (now rebranded as zikula but at first glance
appears to be the same thing - postnuke.com) for a few sites and have
managed to break free of the mould somewhat, but still keeping the
left-hand index, main pane and maybe a header format.

PHP, HTML and even iframes can be inserted into the front page using
"Admin messages" (which are posted above any subsequent news/blog stories).

I've tried drupal, even run my personal site with it, but it - well,
you'd know it was drupal even though I've played with various themes and
layouts. Drupal sites are intrinsically drupally, I think. Not
nececessarily a bad thing unless you're trying not to look like a drupal
site and if you're doing that, you have to wonder why you're using drupal...

One tip when considering - are there tools to convert your CMS data to
another CMS? Can end up quite important if you decide after a few months
that it's not what you wanted after all.

--
Simon Avery