[LUG] Web Content Management

Hello everyone.

I am supposed to have taken over management of my CU's website, but it
all keeps blowing up in my face! Anyway, all the disasters aside, I
still can't figure out which content management system to use. Can
anyone point me in the direction of a guide to content management
systems? Or even if something exists which will do what I want?

I've tried a few and I always get stuck. It seems that most of the
systems out there are based around the principle of a blog, which isn't
really what I'm looking for. Notably, not one of them has provided a way
for me to edit the front page in *any way* other than adding articles
(usually as teasers). It really really needs to be more flexible than
that. Especially with regard to me including my own PHP scripts, without
having to mess about putting it into the CMS.
        I would much prefer PHP to Java if possible, unless it will work
without me having to mess with tomcat. As for storage of pages, I would
actually prefer a situation where I can edit it with vim over ssh if I
like, but still have a web interface for other people to use- though I'm
guessing this idea is not really feasible.
        As well as being flexible it has to be simple to edit pages. I want a
really minimalistic clean interface (that goes for the code generation
as well). I was attempting to use Joomla, but honestly I think it's a
disaster- far too many options, and I kept ending up with duplicated
titles and all sorts, which made it impossible for anyone else to edit
it. The manager interface for Joomla looks like it should be simple and
professional, but it really isn't.
        I definitely think that pages should be organised using a folder
hierarchy rather than this section/category system I keep finding, which
really really doesn't work.
        As for permissions/user management I've sortof resigned myself to the
fact that I'm probably going to have to open it all up to everyone who
will be editing anything, since none of the systems I have encountered
are flexible enough to work for me.

Maybe I'm going about this completely the wrong way?

Thanks in advance.
Simon