Re: [LUG] Viglen MPC problem

On Thursday 28 August 2008 10:57, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 08:36:50AM +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> > > What makes you think they made a new kernel for it? It looks like a
> > > stock one to me.
> >
> > The supplied kernel booted without the above switches suggesting those
> > modules weren't compiled in and it used a lot less ram on startup than
> > later kernels.
>
> I think you misunderstand what those switches do.
>
> Those switches are parameters which disable or enable settings and features
> within the kernel. It doesn't mean that certain modules are enabled or not.
>
> > Of course I didn't do a full backup of the system before I upgraded so I
> > could be wrong but the switched did not appear in grubs menu.lst and I
> > haven't checked this as I got it mostly working for me before discovering
> > that it wont powerup automatically which means I have to modify my dining
> > room to put it somewhere I can easily press the power button after one of
> > our regular power cuts.
>
> The parameters were added by viglen manually because they know that the AMD
> Geode _can't_ boot without them. They unfortunately put the options in the
> _wrong_ place. They tacked them on the end of the specific boot lines when
> they should have put them further up in the general options area of the
> meun.lst.
OK point taken.

> If you upgrade or wipe/reinstall then you won't have those options set
> because they are not set by default. You need to set them yourself. You
> certainly shouldn't need to recompile the kernel, well, stronger than that,
> you definitely _don't_ need to recompile the kernel.
If I go back to the original kernel it seems to live quite happily in a lot
less ram than the later kernels. I've only got 256M in it - I want to use it
as a file server/mail/proxy and the latest kernel boots with about 3MB free
whereas the original kernel was running below 100MB IIRC.
I'll dig it out and have a play to check sometime but 253MB seems a lot, but
l've lost any sense of urgency with it since I found it wont power itself up.
Tom te tom te tom