Re: [LUG] Viglen MPC problem

On Wednesday 27 August 2008 18:26, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 08:16:10AM +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> > On Sunday 24 August 2008 20:45, Kai Hendry wrote:
> > > try acpi=off
> > > http://webconverger.org/mpc/
> >
> > I actually got a response from Viglen and it needed
> > pci=noacpi pnpbios=off
> > for the newer kernels - this wasnt in menu.lst for grub so I asked it
> > they could let me have a kernel compile script so I could build my own
> > but no result yet. The kernel it came with is a lot more lightweight so I
> > guess they trimmed a lot.
>
> What makes you think they made a new kernel for it? It looks like a stock
> one to me.
The supplied kernel booted without the above switches suggesting those modules
weren't compiled in and it used a lot less ram on startup than later kernels.
Of course I didn't do a full backup of the system before I upgraded so I could
be wrong but the switched did not appear in grubs menu.lst and I haven't
checked this as I got it mostly working for me before discovering that it
wont powerup automatically which means I have to modify my dining room to put
it somewhere I can easily press the power button after one of our regular
power cuts.
Tom te tom te tom