Re: [LUG] Viglen MPC problem

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 08:36:50AM +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> > What makes you think they made a new kernel for it? It looks like a stock
> > one to me.
> The supplied kernel booted without the above switches suggesting those modules
> weren't compiled in and it used a lot less ram on startup than later kernels.

I think you misunderstand what those switches do.

Those switches are parameters which disable or enable settings and features
within the kernel. It doesn't mean that certain modules are enabled or not.

> Of course I didn't do a full backup of the system before I upgraded so I could
> be wrong but the switched did not appear in grubs menu.lst and I haven't
> checked this as I got it mostly working for me before discovering that it
> wont powerup automatically which means I have to modify my dining room to put
> it somewhere I can easily press the power button after one of our regular
> power cuts.

The parameters were added by viglen manually because they know that the AMD
Geode _can't_ boot without them. They unfortunately put the options in the
_wrong_ place. They tacked them on the end of the specific boot lines when
they should have put them further up in the general options area of the
meun.lst.

If you upgrade or wipe/reinstall then you won't have those options set
because they are not set by default. You need to set them yourself. You
certainly shouldn't need to recompile the kernel, well, stronger than that,
you definitely _don't_ need to recompile the kernel.

Cheers,
Al.