Re: [LUG] re homeplugs - VIP

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 02:44:52PM +0100, Ross Bearman wrote:
> I was always tempted by FON, although I live in the middle of no where
> currently (moving to Plymouth shortly for uni). Basically you have a
> FON router which broadcasts publically, and anyone connecting to it
> pays a small charge to use it (you get 50% of this charge) and you get
> to surf the internet for free. The idea is to build up networks so
> that large cities are completely covered by the Fonera network, and
> anyone can connect wherever they are for a small charge.
>
> http://www.fon.com

This isn't entirely accurate. You can choose whether to get the revenue or
not. You can surf for free via anyone elses FON, and also some BT devices
can also be used.

The nice thing about the FON (aside from it being dirt cheap and small / low
power) is that it presents two wireless networks. One is unencrypted, but
requires authentication via a web page (for other people to use it) and the
other is WPA encrypted for you to use.

I have some discount codes for Fonera (the router) and the Fontenna
(antenna) if anyone wants one. It brings the price down to about 12 quid.
Email me if you want one.

Cheers,
Al.