Re: [LUG] re homeplugs - VIP

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:35 PM, Viv <viv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have just found out that our home network has been hijacked by a
> neighbour, using a homeplug. We used homeplugs because we understood that
> this was impossible - that signals would not get past the meter. This is not
> true and we have tested it by trying it out at our neighbours, the other
> side.

You could install a filter somewhere at your main distribution board
to stop the signals coming in and out of the house. In fact if you are
propogating signals out side of your house on to the national grid you
may in fact be guilty of some kind of offense. The issue i guess is
related to the various methods of neutral to earth bonding that are
present and in some situations (as you have) you basically have a
common network with neighbors, pole mounted earths and the like.

You could keep your existing network and apply ipsec encryption to it
but this would require a router that can do ipsec or using a computer
as a router which can easily have ipsec enabled etc.

Robin