Re: [LUG] re homeplugs - VIP

Viv wrote:
> I have just found out that our home network has been hijacked by a
> neighbour, using a homeplug. We used homeplugs because we understood
> that this was impossible - that signals would not get past the meter.
> This is not true and we have tested it by trying it out at our
> neighbours, the other side.
>
> We only found out that it was happening because we went away and left
> the internet all on - when we got back we had a warning email from our
> ISP that we were about to exceeed our monthly download limit. Someone
> had download nearly 2 gb in 2 days !
>
> We are going to change over to a wireless router with encryption and a
> firewall but, for now have gone hard wired.
>
> I just wanted to warn all of you, in case you are using these.
>
> regards
>
> Viv
It may be worth sending this to some of the Linux magazines,  so they
can warn their readers,

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Software Freedom day 21st September 2008

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug