Re: [LUG] Asus eeePC- Connection to BT Total Broadband Hub

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 09:44 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 09:29:46 +0100
> Simon Robert wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 10:08 +0100, Kelly Jones wrote:
> > > If your using WPA then there was a known issue with the eee pc and
> > > WPA, search on the eee pc forums and you will find a solution.

> > this may not be the sort of solution you're looking for, but anyhow...
> > My isp is the the postoffice (not recommended) and I have a strong
> > suspicion that what they offer is BT Broadband re-badged.  If your
> > problem is with WPA and you don't want to switch to some other
> > inferior type of security I would recommend switching distros.
>
> Since the hardware isn't changing, it's got to be a software issue.
> Since they're all Linux, what is the difference between them?  What is
> eeePCLinuxOS doing to make WPA work nicely that the others aren't?
>
> Grant.

Not a clue, but it is (or is based on) the mandriva network setup stuff.
It seems to automatically detect that the security is WPA Shared Key and
come up with the right options. Doesn't for everything though as my
laptop using r73 wifi card driver and mandriva defaults to Open WEP when
you close the option - not helpful. So it maybe the driver for the card
as the advice from a mandriva forum was that the linux r73 driver from
realtek had issues and that ndiswrapper should be used. Not tried that
yet though.

As for the key, on the eee, I just entered what was on the bottom of the
box, ie XXXXXXXXXXX. Maybe updating the driver, if there is an update
from assus, might help.

Simon