Re: [LUG] Simple VPN creation that supports Windows?

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 12:40 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've read about using SSH and PPP to create a VPN connection between two
> Linux boxes, but does this work using PuTTY as an SSH client?  I've read
> about the various SWAN tools for IPSec and PPTP VPN creation too, but
> have previously had problems getting my router to forward the relevant
> traffic.  Does anyone know of a relatively straight forward way to
> create a VPN that both Linux and Windows can connect to without too much
> hassle on the client side?

We tend to use PPTP/GRE with MPPE encryption (128 bit). It is supported
by Windows by default, and MPPE is in the linux kernel now too. PPTP
(for server and/or client) is downloadable from sourceforge (or via a
yum repo I think if you are running RedHat/Fedora).

Note, it works, however there are security issues in that PPTP/MPPE is
not the securest method available (things like IPSec are more secure).

John.