[LUG] Simple VPN creation that supports Windows?

Hi all,

I've read about using SSH and PPP to create a VPN connection between two
Linux boxes, but does this work using PuTTY as an SSH client?  I've read
about the various SWAN tools for IPSec and PPTP VPN creation too, but
have previously had problems getting my router to forward the relevant
traffic.  Does anyone know of a relatively straight forward way to
create a VPN that both Linux and Windows can connect to without too much
hassle on the client side?

Cheers.
Grant.