Re: [LUG] Running Ubuntu from a USB Stick

Brown Richard wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On 19 Aug 2008, at 08:53, Brown Richard wrote:
>> Has anybody done this please? And once it is done is it possible to
>> use it to install ubuntu?
>>

> Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful and helped me understand what
> I want to do.
>
> 1. Install Ubuntu on a pc.
> 2. Use Ubuntu on a pc to iron out any network problems.
>
> Can I use the same stick for both and do I have to actually boot from
> the usb stick or could I run the stick once xp or whatever is loaded
> please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rich

It *should* be possible but I believe you'd have to have a big enough
pen drive (say 4GB at least I would have thought) and you'd probably
have to partition it (maybe 700MB for the Ubuntu installer, 3GB for the
installed version of Ubuntu and another 300MB or so for swap for low
memory machines).

Not sure how Ubuntu would handle being moved between machines, I presume
it would handle it.

Other option would be to just stick the Ubuntu Desktop image on the Pen
drive, that way you could boot into a usable desktop and still install
from it.

You should be able to boot from USB if the BIOS supports it.

Rob