Re: [LUG] Running Ubuntu from a USB Stick

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 14:49, Brown Richard wrote:
> Hi All
>
> On 19 Aug 2008, at 08:53, Brown Richard wrote:
> > Has anybody done this please? And once it is done is it possible to
> > use it to install ubuntu?
>
> Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful and helped me understand what
> I want to do.
>
> 1. Install Ubuntu on a pc.
> 2. Use Ubuntu on a pc to iron out any network problems.
You're probably better of with a Live or alternate CD for this.

> Can I use the same stick for both and do I have to actually boot from
> the usb stick or could I run the stick once xp or whatever is loaded
> please?
If your machine can boot from a USB you can boot directly into the ubunut on
the usb.
If not you can install grub and that can then probably boot the USB
Or you can even try Smart Boot Manager on a floppy - not tried it with USB but
it may work

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent seems to cover most angles

Tom te tom te tom