Re: [LUG] Serial port (absense of)

On Aug 14, 2008, Ross Bearman was like:

> What's your usual distribution?

Usually Debian

On Aug 14, 2008, Grant Sewell was like:

> I bought a USB-RS232C adapter (from Trago a few years ago) so I could
> connect my serial-less laptop to Cisco equipment for
> configuring/troubleshooting. I found that it "just works" under every
> flavour of Linux I threw at it - no need for any "specific" drivers.

The Makefile loads usbserial and then goes on to compile the specific
driver pl2303. I hadn't realised that usbserial would work on its own.

> Have you tried using it on anything other than RH 8?

I tried Fedora 9 but I was trying to get the Makefile to go -- and in
that I was unsuccessful.

On Aug 14, 2008, Robin Cornelius was like:

> Most USB/serial are the same chipset (A Prolific one) and the
> usbserial driver will work but you may need to modprobe usbserial
> VENDOR=0x0000 DEVICE=0x0000 where there 0x000 are the appropriate
> numbers discovered by lsusb.

Yes it is the Prolific chipset so it could be worth installing Debian
and doing that. Could make things easier in other ways. Thanks to
everyone

Tony