[LUG] Serial port (absense of)

I have a little gadget (for controlling the water heating) that plugs
in to a serial port but modern laptops don't have these. I bought a
USB-serial converter and this comes with drivers for Red Hat 7, 8 and
9.  By a strange twist of fate I still have the discs containing Red
Hat 8 (those were the days) so I installed the it and the driver works
(this laptop is dedicated to the one task). There must be other ways
of solving this problem and I'd be interested to know what they
are. Maplin sell a card-bus device with serial ports but they say this
is windows only. Does anyone have experience with the Keyspan device?

Tony Sumner