Re: [LUG] Linux @ University of Plymouth

Python was the first language I put any effort into learning properly,
back in 2002. One of the best choices I ever made, I find it
invaluable for day to day computer operation. As soon as I find myself
doing something every time I turn my computer on, I automate it. Then
every couple of months I refactor all my scripts and rewrite anything
I don't particularly like.

I also use SVN and FogBugz. For everything I do, for personal projects
I have my own SVN server in my wardrobe, for the games and other
projects I lead, I use CVSDude, fantastic service and completely free
for non-profit and open source projects.

FogBugz was another product that I use for the main game I work on. I
think it was going to cost around £4'500 for our entire team of 14
developers to use it, but I had a talk with the lead developers, who
liked our project and gave us a lifetime account, with access for
every member, for free.

It's a fantastic tool, designed from a developers point of view but
with the ease of use that means testers find it easier to post reports
there than save them in a notepad file, or email one of the
developers. Keeping everything centralised. Has task tracking, bug
tracking, shipping estimation that works incredibly well, an
incredibly good email handling system that's become simply invaluable
with the volume of email we receive now. Along with loads of other
tools, and it's all connected to our CVSDude SVN, so every time
somebody commits a bug fix, they put the bug ID in the commit message,
and the changes can be viewed online from within each bug report.
Along with lots of other statistics and such. It's very worth checking
out, even if it's just for ideas of how you can improve your own
workflow.

Regards, Ross Bearman