Re: [LUG] Linux @ University of Plymouth

2008/8/5 Dave Foxcroft <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ross Bearman wrote:
>> I'll hopefully be joining Plymouth as a Computer Science undergraduate this
>> September and was wondering if anyone on the list is currently studying at
>> Plymouth, previously studied at Plymouth, or just happens to know about the
>> state of Computing there.
> I Graduated from UoP last year - topped up from an HND - it's a great
> place - never had any problems with any of the staff - all very
> dedicated and willing to help if you have any problems.

I graduated from UoP in 2000, from the CSN course before they dumbed
it down (and added extra requirements) and when Cisco still came
cherrypicked the best students.

I'd say the most important things to make a difference both to the
degree and the value of your time in uni are :
* Learn some practical programming skills - how to do unit tests, how
to use a debugger, how to find common bugs, when to walk away from the
keyboard- they won't teach you this at uni and it means you're more
likely to get your coursework and exersizes done with time to do it
well and not get tripped up before you get anywhere, which can be a
big problem when you're out of your depth.
* Join the computing society termisoc, it's the only way to meet the
geeks who are interested in and know about networks, servers, etc
rather than the geeks who just play MUDs or WoW all day ;)
* Join the student BCS chapter and go along to some meetings and
trips, you'd only spend the money on beer anyway.
* Research and find a good placement early - if you don't have a
placement on your degree syllabus talk to your course manager or
somebody about including it - graduating in IT without at least a
sandwiche year behind you puts you at a significant disadvantage, and
can also greatly influence how you choose what to do with your final
year (even to the point of getting somebody to sponser a project or
pay you to do some support or consulting instead of working in a bar
or supermarket to pay your rent).

Hope that helps.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk